Gay Couple Dies in Hotel Fire One Day After Posting Instagram Photos From There
A fire at the Cameron House hotel in Loch Lomond, Scotland has killed 32-year-old Simon Midgley and his 38-year-old boyfriend Richard Dyson, a vacationing gay couple from London. The couple were the only two fatalities from the Cameron House fire, though three others were hospitalized and over 200 people fled the blaze.
Details of the Cameron House fire
The fire alarm reportedly went off at 7 a.m. as the fire engulfed the hotel complex’s main building. Many lodgers fled in nightclothes. It took firefighters 12 hours to completely extinguish the flames.
The hotel is a popular wedding venue with a highly regarded restaurant. The 132-room hotel is also used as a regular base for the Scottish national soccer team.
Midgley was a public relations manager and a freelance travel writer for the London Evening Standard. Dyson was a TV producer who had worked on shows such as Tumble, a reality competition starring celebrity acrobats, and Gareth Malone’s The Naked Choir, an a cappella singing competition. The two had traveled from London to sightsee around Glasgow before visiting the hotel.
Midgley had posted Instagram photos of himself enjoying the Cameron House spa a day before his death in the hotel. He had also posted a few tweets about his sightseeing around Glasgow in the days before the Cameron House fire.
Sadly the famous #GlasgowSchoolOfArt is still under refurbishment after the terrible fire in 2014, but you can get a looksy at some of Charles Rennie Mackintosh’s furniture designs, which are ? #Glasgow #ArtsAndCrafts #ArtNouveau pic.twitter.com/zP4modwYlM
— Simon Midgley (@SimonMidgleyPR) December 16, 2017
— Simon Midgley (@SimonMidgleyPR) December 15, 2017
Sympathetic Instagram and Twitter users have begun leaving messages of condolence on Midgley’s social media accounts.
Nearby hotels reportedly offered help and lodging for hotel guests affected by the fire. The Cameron House hotel will now remain closed for at least 72 hours following the blaze.
Cameron House resort director, Andy Roger, offered ‘deepest condolences’ to Midgley and Dyson’s families.