Moments after Sasha Velour was crowned America’s Next Drag Superstar at the end of RuPaul’s Drag Race Season 9, she said, “Let’s change shit up! Let’s get inspired by all this beauty … and change the motherfucking world!” It made us wonder which Drag Race champions have enough influence to potentially do just that.
RuPaul certainly forges her queens in her own image, taking them through an increasingly challenging gauntlet of photo shoots, media appearances and sickening runway challenges to make them true drag ambassadors to the world, but not all Drag Race champions have single-handedly pushed the world’s fashion and politics forward — it’s a lot to ask a monarch with only a one-year reign.
Some Drag Race champs spend their reigning year touring the world, while others concentrate on their own work and a quiet few have virtually disappeared.
So to measure each queen’s influence, we took a look at their social media platforms to get a rough idea of which ones have the greatest social reach, and thus influence. It’s not the best indicator — admirers more likely indicate popularity rather than one’s effect on society — but it gives us an idea of which queen has the largest following to carry out their bidding, whether for playing or for slaying.
Here’s how the reigning queens of Drag Race stack up from most influential to least:
1. Bianca Del Rio (Season 6): 1,972,797 fans
2. Alaska Thunderfuck (All Stars 2): 1,927,763 fans
3. Sharon Needles (Season 4): 1,626,630 fans
4. Jinkx Monsoon (Season 5): 1,219,138 fans
5. Violet Chachki (Season 7): 1,147,953 fans
6. Bob the Drag Queen (Season 8): 837,614 fans
7. Raja (Season 3): 735,137 fans
8. Sasha Velour (Season 9): 635,135 fans
9. Chad Michaels (All Stars 1): 556,397 fans
10. Tyra Sanchez (Season 2): 413,941 fans
11. BeBe Zahara Benet (Season 1): 192,849 fans
And here’s who slays most on social media….
Facebook’s Top Queens:
1. Bianca Del Rio: 596,572 likes
2. Sharon Needles: 545,437 likes
3. Jinkx Monsoon: 385,554 likes
Twitter’s Top Queens:
1. Bianca Del Rio: 351,000 followers
2. Alaska Thunderfuck: 335,000 followers
3. Sharon Needles: 323,000 followers
Instagram’s Top Queens:
1. Bianca Del Rio: 1,000,000 followers
2. Alaska Thunderfuck: 995,000 followers
3. Violet Chachki: 833,000 followers
YouTube’s Top Queens:
1. Alaska Thunderfuck: 231,048 subscribers
2. Sharon Needles: 72,593 subscribers
3. Bob the Drag Queen: 59,532 subscribers
(Featured image via NewNowNext)