Shirley Manson Tells Off Kanye West
Garbage frontwoman Shirley Manson told off rapper Kanye West for saying that Beyoncé, not Beck should’ve won the Grammy for Best Album — and how sweet it was! Check that out, along with these other eye-catching stories, from our favorite links:
1. Spider-Man Swings Into The Marvel Cinematic Universe: Sony has generously agreed to let Marvel use one of its most popular and iconic characters in its own films as part of yet another reboot on the web-slinger. Spidey’s been associated with the Avengers in comics for over 20 years, but there’s no indication yet if he’ll show up in the Avengers film series yet. There’s also no word which Spider-Man well see. In the Ultimate Spider-Man comic, Peter Parker was replaced with Miles Morales, who’s both black and Latino. Now wouldn’t that be marvelous?
2. The Lost Treasures of Neil Armstrong: You know how it is. You’re cleaning your closet out one day and all of a sudden you find a cache of souvenirs from the first time humans set foot on the moon. Carol Armstrong, widow of famous astronaut Neil, found the white purse of lunar tchotchkes and turned them over to the National Air and Space Museum. The contents include a handheld camera used to record Armstrong’s first steps on the moon and miscellaneous tools Armstrong referred to as “odds and ends.” In a related story, the only thing hidden in most of our closets is a that lost glove from three winters ago.
3. Paging Dr. Google: If you’re tired of WebMD telling you that your headache is caused by a brain tumor, Google has just the thing for you. The web engine will start providing relevant information on symptoms, diseases, and treatments searched for, all of which are curated and fact-checked by doctors. Google stresses that their service is in no way a substitute for an examination by a real doctor made of flesh and blood and not ones and zeroes. Hypochrondria just got a lot easier for all of us.
4. Shirley Manson Has…Words For Kanye West: We should all be so honored one day as to have the lead singer of Garbage call us a “twat.” That was the word Shirley Manson used in her open letter to Kanye West after the 2015 Grammy Awards, where West jokingly seemed to recreate his infamous Taylor Swift “Imma let you finish” stunt after Beck won Album of the Year over Beyoncé. West later went on to diss Beck in interviews, saying he should have graciously given Bey and her small army of producers, writers, and musicians the award he won for an album he produced and performed mostly by himself. Thank you, Shirley, for so eloquently addressing the feelings so many of us keep locked inside.
5. Women Can Be Royal & Ancient Too: The Royal & Ancient Golf Club of St. Andrews in Scotland has named its first female members, ending a 260-year-old “men only” membership policy. The prestigious golf club inducted seven women into its ranks, including Dame Laura Davies, American players Renee Powell and Louise Suggs, and Sweden’s Annika Sorenstam. Also inducted was Princess Anne, who once said “Golf seems to me to be an arduous way to go for a walk – I’d prefer to take the dogs out,” which is now no longer a privilege reserved solely for men.
And here’s hoping all that ice cream went down well, because here’s an admittedly fascinating and eye-opening look at Jabba the Hutt’s insides. You’re welcome.
Read more stories by just signing up
or Download the App to read the latest stories