The freezing weather didn’t stop the LGBT community of New York from coming out to rally against Donald Trump.
On Saturday, thousands of people turned out in front of The Stonewall Inn to protest in solidarity against the first days of Donald Trump’s presidency. Many political heads and activists spoke including Chuck Schumer, out councilman Corey Johnson and trans model Hari Neif. Actress Cynthia Nixon was there as well, offering powerful words that jabbed at the new administration.
“We don’t know yet what Donald Trump has in store for us, and chances are he doesn’t either,” she proclaimed. “He poses as our ally… but he chooses Mike Pence, the poster boy for anti-LGBT rhetoric, legislation and conversion therapy, as his vice president.”
“We need to come out not just as queer, but as people who know all too well what it feels like to be put in a box that says ‘other,’ less than,’ ‘easy target if you’re looking for someone to bully, harass, discriminate against, demonize, beat up, even kill,” she said.
Photographer Adam Vole captured some of our favorite moments from the rally. Here are 12 fabulous signs that show our queer pride while also speaking out with resistance against Trump and his administration.
1. Hey, I just met you, and this is crazy! Call your fucking representatives (202) 224-3121.
2. Not today Satan.
4. Replace the word Muslim with the world Jew and ask yourself, “Do I sound like a fucking Nazi?”
5. Trump is mean.
6. No one is free if others are oppressed.
7. To deny people their human rights is to challenge their very humanity.
8. Gurl, bye.
9. 2, 4, 6, 8. How do you know Mike Pence is straight?
11. It says gay, not great.
12. Homophobia can suck my dick.
Read more stories by just signing up
or Download the App to read the latest stories