Gay penguins — better get ready! Marriage equality is coming to Antarctica! Seriously, though — this is pretty cool news; the United Kingdom has just announced plans to make sure the British Antarctic Territory will have the same laws as the rest of the United Kingdom, which, of course, includes marriage equality. We’ve got more marriage equality news in our monthly look!
- As a spokesperson for Australian Prime Minister Turnbull announced another delay in holding the plebiscite on same-sex marriage, professor of human rights law Paula Gerber examined the negative impact that debating marriage equality is having on the region.
- Marriage equality has come to Antarctica as the UK Foreign & Commonwealth Office announced plans to bring the British Antarctic Territory in line with domestic UK legislation.
- In the wake of Ireland’s marriage equality referendum, Irish youth group ‘BeLonG To’ urges the community to fight on-going homophobia and bullying.
- In a new survey the Ministry for Families and Youth in Austria found that although 48.5% of respondents personally felt positive about same-sex couples parenting children, 68.5% believed that society at large does not accept same-sex parents.
- And in Queensland, Australia new legislation will allow single people and same-sex couples to adopt children.
Unicorn Booty brings attentions to global issues of significance for lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and intersex people. Our partnership with Equal Eyes, a news source produced in collaboration with UNAIDS, the Joint United Nations Program on HIV/AIDS, is part of that effort. To learn more, visit their site at Equal-Eyes.org.
This coverage promotes sexual and gender equality while highlighting issues of health, violence, culture, and legal and human rights. Equal Eyes provides advocates and allies a common frame of reference for the realities of global LGBTI communities. Through followup reporting and disseminating this coverage, our effort is to ensure we have a representation of the global stories that matter most or may have under-reporting.
(Featured image via Matt Biddulph/Flickr)
Read more stories by just signing up
or Download the App to read the latest stories