By now you’ve likely heard about North Carolina’s horrible new anti-LGBT law, House Bill 2 (HB2). Passed in a rush session, it effectively bars any city from passing anti-discrimination protections for gender or sexual identity; it also requires transgender people to use the bathroom matching the gender on their birth certificate (changing a birth certificate can be costly and time-consuming).
In response, the American Civil Liberties Union has filed a lawsuit, multiple corporations and city governments have threatened to boycott the state, the White House has called the law “mean spirited” and the state’s own Attorney General has refused to defend the law in court.
While many LGBT sites have acknowledged that the state’s Senate Democrats walked out in protest during the rush proceedings (the law unanimously passed among Republicans in a 32-0 vote), but few sites reported that 11 Democratic Representatives in the House helped the law pass in a 83-25 vote.
Let us repeat that: this law passed with bipartisan support — eleven House Democrats helped make it happen, so we’d like to make them infamous.
You can click on their names below for their e-mail addresses and phone numbers. Feel free to contact them (especially if you live in their districts). Also feel free to work against their re-election campaigns — with Democrats like them, who needs anti-LGBT Republicans?
- Representative William D. Brisson, NC-22
- Representative Elmer Floyd, NC-43
- Representative Charles Graham, NC-47
- Representative George Graham, NC-12
- Representative Ken Goodman, NC-66
- Representative Howard J. Hunter III, NC-5
- Representative Larry M. Bell, NC-21
- Representative Garland E. Pierce, NC-48
- Representative Brad Salmon, NC-51
- Representative William O. Richardson, NC-44
- Representative Michael H. Wray, NC-27
Read more stories by just signing up
or Download the App to read the latest stories