Safe sex should always be the watchword — but it should be especially so now. The Center for Disease Control says that STD rates are at an all-time high, especially chlamydia, gonorrhea and syphilis. That and more in our look at bad news around the world.
- New reports from Canada show HPV-induced mouth and throat cancers are increasing as cervical cancers remain stable. Additionally, 1 in 3 HPV cancers are diagnosed in men. The US Center for Disease Control released its annual STD surveillance report and showed that across the country sexually transmitted diseases are at an all-time high, especially chlamydia, gonorrhea, and syphilis.
- In the UK, LGBT people have significantly higher rates of drug and alcohol abuse than the general population, while government services to help have continued to lose funding.
- The Indonesian Youth and Sports Ministry began recruiting applicants for the role of Creative Youth Ambassador. The ministry is seeking someone “physically and mentally healthy” and specifically “not involved in promiscuity and sexually deviant behavior, including LGBT.” As anti-LGBT sentiment continues to rise in the country, President Joko Widodo made his first comments to reduce the tension saying that “the police must act” to protect LGBT Indonesians even though “Islam does not allow” the LGBT lifestyle. Journalist Yenni Kwok reflected on how the country’s treatment of LGBT citizens undermines the quest for democracy.
- Australia’s Minister for Immigration and Border Security, Peter Dutton, told Parliament that gay and bisexual refugees currently held in Australia’s center in Papua New Guinea will no longer be the government’s responsibility when the center closes. Gay and bisexual refugees will have to return home or remain in PNG despite the country’s laws criminalizing homosexuality.
- A new UK survey found that the number of LGBT students who are afraid of being targeted due to their sexual orientation has nearly doubled compared to the previous year’s study.
- The website of Russian LGBT youth group Deti-404 has been blacklisted by the government’s media oversight group Roskomnadzor. This is not the first time Deti-404 has been found guilty of breaking Russia’s anti-gay propaganda laws.
- The US student group InterVarsity Christian Fellowship/USA, which has 1,011 chapters across 667 colleges, released a “Theological Summary of Human Sexuality” clarifying the group’s position against same-sex relationships. Though the conservative statement was unsurprising, employees were shocked to learn that if they disagree with the position, they will be “involuntary terminated“.
Unicorn Booty brings attentions to global issues of significance for lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and intersex people. Our partnership with Equal Eyes, a news source produced in collaboration with UNAIDS, the Joint United Nations Program on HIV/AIDS, is part of that effort. To learn more, visit their site at Equal-Eyes.org.
This coverage promotes sexual and gender equality while highlighting issues of health, violence, culture, and legal and human rights. Equal Eyes provides advocates and allies a common frame of reference for the realities of global LGBTI communities. Through followup reporting and disseminating this coverage, our effort is to ensure we have a representation of the global stories that matter most or may have under-reporting.
(Featured image via Ton Rulkins/Flickr)
Read more stories by just signing up
or Download the App to read the latest stories