Madge knows what she’s talking about: For a supple and firm butt that looks younger than your years, throw a face mask on it. Yep, short of surgery or — god forbid — implants, a butt mask is the skincare secret that really works (and that you’ve been missing out on all this time).
On using one of her own line’s clay masks on her butt, Madonna has said, “Don’t you want soft skin on your butt? Don’t other people look at your butt? Your butt has an audience! I encourage it. Maybe you can ask your significant other to remove it for you.”
When you think about it, applying a butt mask makes perfect sense. You likely already spend money to care for other skin areas, like your face, so why not do the same for your butt?
Here are five simple steps for giving yourself a butt facial at home. I’ve included product recommendations along the way with the goal of simplifying the process.
Check out your new butt mask routine:
1. Exfoliate (2 minutes)
Before you apply your butt mask, you’ll want to exfoliate.
- Step into a warm shower and soak your butt under a warm stream so that it becomes fully hydrated.
- Using your fingertips, apply a gentle body scrub in a circular motion. There are plenty of products like this on the market, but I’ve found Nivea’s Touch of Renewal to be one of the best.
- While your butt is still covered with the scrub, put on a pair of exfoliating mitts. You can get these at almost any drug store or online. Again, using a circular motion, gently scrub to remove dead skin cells and other debris.
- Rinse your butt well and make sure all of the scrub is washed away.
2. Pat-Dry Your Butt (1 minute)
After stepping out of the shower, dry your butt with a towel. Believe it or not, there are important steps to the drying process.
- Use a clean towel, preferably one that is fluffy and moisture absorbing.
- Gently pat dry your butt to soak up moisture. Never “rub” your skin. Doing so can damage the dermal layer and destroy collagen, a gel like substance that gives your skin its youthful appearance.
3. Apply the Butt Mask and Let It Dry (15–20 minutes)
Now it’s time to apply the butt mask. There are many products on the market, with prices ranging from $10–$200. The question is, which is the best to use?
Because everyone has different skin, the answer is hard to know. What I can tell you is that MASSK makes an amazing charcoal clay Butt Cheek Mask that is not only organic but detoxifies, exfoliates and brightens.
But because the skin on your face and your butt isn’t all that different, just about any face mask you purchase can double as a butt mask.
Application is easy:
- Using your fingers, apply the clay to each of your cheeks.
- Be careful not to get too close to your crack to avoid potential irritation.
- Lay down on a dry towel or other surface and chill for 15-20 minutes. Allow the mask to completely dry. You should feel noticeable “tightening” towards the end of this step.
4. Jump Back Into the Shower (2 minutes)
Once the mask has completely dried, it’s time to jump back into the shower. Most people find that warm water does an excellent job of removing the clay.
If you need extra help, it’s OK to put the mitts back on and do some light, gentle scrubbing.
When you’re done, step out of the shower and repeat the drying process mentioned in Step 2.
5. Apply a Moisturizer (1 minute)
This last step is easy. Simply apply your favorite body moisturizer to your butt to lock in your newfound hydration. If you’ve never used a moisturizing lotion on your butt before, the options are limitless.
Personally, I like fragrance-free products, like Cetaphil’s lotion for all skin types. Not only is it dermatologist recommended, it’s also reasonably priced. You can get this at most drug stores or online.
Most people who give themselves a butt facial do so once or twice each week, but this depends on lifestyle factors and skin issues that are unique to each person.
Who doesn’t want their butt to be as attractive as possible? A butt mask — even if it’s just a repurposing of that facial mask you have lying around — is a great way to rejuvenate your behind, and maybe even shed a few years from your cheeks.
Have you ever used a butt mask? Sound off in the comments.
Read more stories by just signing up
or Download the App to read the latest stories