These 10 Sexy Celebs Show That the Male Crop Top Never Really Ever Went Away
For a brief while during the ’70s and ’80s, it seemed like male crop tops would become the hot new fashion trend for men looking to join the ladies and show a little skin in midriff-baring cut-off t-shirts. Sadly, the trend cooled off during the ’90s and early 2000s, but male crop tops seem to be making a gradual comeback as queer and straight men alike have started showing off their bellies once again.
Personally, we love male crop tops: They can be fun, stylish, sexy, sporty and even a little trashy if done right. Plus, as you can see from our timeline below, male entertainers have sported male crop tops throughout modern history. Even NFL draft pick Ezekiel Elliott rocked one on the red carpet in 2016, so the look has never really gone away.
Let’s take a second to enjoy these male celebs rocking male crop tops while we contemplate wearing our own to the next pool party, summer concert or gay bar beer bust.
1. Carl Weathers wears one as Apollo Creed in Rocky 3 (1982)
2. Johnny Depp lounges athletically in A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984)
3. Ilan Mitchell-Smith gets liberated in the sci-fi sex comedy Weird Science (1985)
4. Prince styles a crop top at a Wembley Arena concert in England (1986)
5. Alex Winter rocks a midriff in the time-traveling comedy Bill and Ted’s Excellent Adventure (1989)
6. Funnyman musician Will Smith sports a crop top in The Fresh Prince of Bel Air (1990)
7. Mark Wahlberg (Marky Mark) shows off with Kate Moss in a Calvin Klein ad (1992)
8. Matthew McConaughey shows some man-flesh in the male stripper drama Magic Mike (2012)
9. Rapper Kid Cudi wowed Coachella audiences with his crop top (2014)
10. Zac Efron shows off in a film shoot (2015)